Communiqué of the 8thQuarterly Meeting of Secretaries to Government of All Progressives Congress States
The Secretaries to Government of All Progressives Congress (APC)States (SGSs) held their 8th Quarterly meeting under the auspices of the Progressive Governors Forum (PGF) on Thursday October 10 and Friday October 11, 2019 in Dutse, hosted by the Jigawa State Government.
The Governor of Jigawa State, His Excellency, Alhaji Mohammed Badaru Abubakar declared the meeting open.
Secretaries to the Government of APC States and their representatives were in attendance at the meeting. The National Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress also attended.
The theme for this 8th meeting is ‘Developing Common Policy Framework for APC States’. The overarching objective was to identify common issues of governance that can be replicated across all the APC controlled States.
The report of the 7th Quarterly meeting of Secretaries to Governments of All Progressives Congress (APC) States (SGSs) held on Thursday August 2 and Friday August 3, 2018 in Abeokuta; PGF’s report on Issues and Challenges of Implementing the PGF Two (2) Year Common Legislative and Policy Frameworks in APC States; as well as the PGF Draft PGF Health Policy Brief formed the working document for this meeting.
The keynote address on “Developing Common Policy Framework for APC States” was presented by Mallam Ibrahim Muazzam of Bayero University, Kano. The presentations on “Progress Report on Primary Health Care Programmes for States” from NPHCDA and the “Health Care Financing and Management of Contributory Health Fund” by AIICO Multishield Healthcare (HMO) were also part of the documents that guided the discussion of the meeting.
2. Highlights of Presentations
After the opening ceremony and presentations on key governance initiatives, the participants deliberated on issues raised in the presentations. The discussions focused on the following key issues of interest to APC states:
- Taking the institutionalization of Common Legislative and Policy Frameworks in APC States to the next level;
- Finalizing the work on the Draft PGF Primary Health Care Policy Brief, and
- Developing new Implementation Strategies of Common and Cross-Cutting Initiatives and Actions for APC as a party and its governments at all levels.
3. Technical Committee Meeting
After the plenary and discussion sessions, the meeting set up Technical Committees to identify common strategy for policy implementation by all the APC states.
- In view of the post-election issues in our Party, the meeting resolved that APC States should be enjoined to initiate a national peace building and internal reconciliation process that would involve all stakeholders in the party and government so as to achieve a stronger party cohesion, internal democracy, discipline as a foundation for the distinctive outlook that the common man expected while voting for our party;
- The meeting noted that health is critical to development and attaining Health for all – Universal Health Coverage (UHC) is central to attainment of other welfare goals that are key commitments of the APC as enshrined in the Manifesto of the Party. We propose Contributory Health Funding Scheme as an indispensable means of sustainable healthcare financing in APC States, especially in the face of the current fiscal constraints;
- The meeting recommended that APC States and the Party should put in place structure for public and media engagement that can interface at all levels to showcase the achievements of their governments and also those of the Federal Government as this would enhance the confidence of the citizenry in our great Party – the APC;
5. General Issues
The meeting agreed to continually share information, ideas and knowledge through its quarterly meetings and the PGF Secretariat to promote synergy across the member States and facilitate greater cooperation for sustainable development.
The meeting thanked the Jigawa state government for its hospitality throughout our stay.
Mr. Adamu Fanini Salihu Moh. Lukman
SGS Jigawa State Director General, PGF