In order to give practical expression to the goals, objectives and principles of PGF, structures to facilitate the development of synergy, experience sharing and policy design are needed. These structures would be as much as possible flexible, cost effective and simple. The strategy is to promote and deepen participatory governance in APC states based on which Nigerian citizens can have a strong and louder voice in APC governments.
This will focus in facilitating engagement between Progressive Governors and the National Assembly. The meeting of Progressive Governors and APC NASS Representatives will then be an activity under the Program.
Most of the challenges in social services delivery in Nigeria have persisted as result of reactionary legislation occasioned primarily by the absence of a clearly defined legislative agenda. There is therefore need for a progressive legislative framework that provides the space for deliberate, methodical and coordinated law making processes that would create sustainable remedy for the crisis in Nigeria’s social services delivery system especially in APC states. Second, implementation of Nigeria’s national budget is poorly managed and allocation to states abused as a result of accountability issues. Therefore, the oversight commitment and responsibility of the National Assembly, especially progressive legislators, needs to be strengthened.
For effective program implementation, the Program operates a threelayer governance structure to drive the process of design, implementation and monitoring. They are as follows:
Steering Committee: It provides needed leadership and direction
a. Two Governors
b. Two Party Activists
c. Three Experts in the field
- For effective program implementation, it is proposed that a four-layer governance structure be put in place to drive the process of design, implementation and monitoring as follows:
- Steering Committee: It will provide needed leadership and direction:
- Two Governors
- Two National Assembly Leaders
- Three Experts in the field
- Program Team (PT): This will consist of secretariat staff and will be responsible for the day to day running of the programme. This team will be under the leadership of the Director General of the Progressive Governors Forum. Other members of the team will include Director, Planning and Strategy, Technical Adviser and Technical Assistant (Legislative Program).
- Policy Expert and Design Panel (PEDP): This will consist of key policy drivers in states, experts drawn from national and global institutions with strong social policy development traditions. The Panel will play a lead role in producing monthly policy briefs as major outputs. The panel will meet monthly.
PGF mobilises for development through programmes.
Media & Communications
Follow us on Social Media