Progressive Governors held a meeting on Sunday, August 8, 2021, and resolved as follows:
1. Forum further reviewed progress being made by the APC Caretaker and Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee in the effort to rebuild structures of the party at all levels and commends members of the Caretaker Committee led by His Excellency, Mai Mala Buni for the successful conduct of the Ward Congresses across the country. Accordingly, Forumreaffirmed its support for the Caretaker Committee to proceed to conduct Local Government, State Congresses and National Convention, in line with the mandate of the National Executive Committee.
2. Forum was further briefed on the July 28, 2021,judgement of the Supreme Court on Ondo State 2020 Governorship election and recognise that the legal status of both the APC Caretaker and Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee as well as its composition has been legally settled. Forum had earlier commended the Supreme Court for the timely release of the written Judgement and expressed gratitude to APC legal team for the successful defence of APC’s electoral mandate in Ondo State. Forum congratulates the people and government of Ondo State for the legal victory.
3. Having reviewed progress in the party, Forum commend all party members for commitment to the process of rebuilding the APC and urge them to give support at all times. In particular, Forum notes with satisfaction reports from various states of commendable mobilisation and participation in the July 31st, 2021 ward congresses. All the states reported successful conduct.
Strike by National Association of Resident Doctors:
The meeting also reviewed the ongoing strike action by National Association of Resident Doctors and resolved as follows:
4. Noting that Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF) isalready engaged in consultations with the leadership of the Resident Doctors and the Federal Government, Forum endorsed the initiative of the NGF and support the call by the Federal Government through the Minister of Labour, Dr. Chris Ngige for the immediate suspension of the strike to allow negotiations to continue.
5. Noting that most of the grievances of the Resident Doctors are with State Governments, Forum appealed to the Resident Doctors to negotiate with individual State Governments and issues affecting Resident Doctors in Federal establishments should be negotiated with the relevant structures of the Federal Government.
Support, Gratitude, Congratulations and Condolence
Forum reaffirmed its support for the APC Caretaker and Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee under the leadership of His Excellency, Mai Mala Buni and call on all party members and leaders to continue to support them to conclude the task of re-organising the leadership of the party.
Forum expressed gratitude to President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR for his leadership and further reaffirms support for the implementation of initiatives of the APC Federal Government in line with provisions of APC manifesto.
The meeting formally welcomes His Excellency, BelloMuhammad Matawalle as the twenty-second member of the Forum. Forum also congratulated His Excellency, Babagana Umara Zulum for being awarded the second highest National Honour of de Grand Dans I’Ordre of Niger Republic, which is equivalent to Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger (GCON).
Members commiserate with His Excellency, DapoAbiodun, Governor of Ogun State on the death of his father, Pa (Dr) Emmanuel Adesanya Abiodun. Memberspray to God Almighty to reward all the good works of Pa Abiodun, forgive his limitations, bless what he left behindand grant the family the fortitude to bear this heavy loss.
HE Abubakar Atiku Bagudu
For and on Behalf of Progressive Governors
August 10, 2021